Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dear Costco... I love you !!!

ok, well I guess I better get bloggin... thats what I started this thing for.  Its been 10 days now as a Vegan... oh, sorry , Low Fat Vegan. Though realistically, I'm probably more closer to Vegan then the low fat part. But I'm trying.  I'm definately finding that to go "vegan" is not as much as a challange as going low fat.  Actually, the low fat part is starting to piss me off.  I think I'm getting cranky because I'm feeling deprived as if I was on a strict diet.

Going Vegan on its own, has its challanges and makes you stop and rethink what you are putting in your mouth. The advantage of being able to go vegan and able to lose weight, is that there was no calorie counting, no portion control, no points to look up in a book and then sit in a meeting with 20 other fat people talking about how you can eat more crap with less points if you stick to certain brands...etc.  You simple had to just "NOT" eat from certain food categories.  Easy peasy!
However, to go Low Fat Vegan is annoying, because now, instead of reading labels to make sure there is NO animal product in the ingredients , I'm finding myself calculating mathematical formulas I haven't done since 8th grade math, to see if the "fat" % is over 20% of the overall calorie count per portion serving , getting disappointed and throwing it back on the shelf.  Thats the sure sign of a "DIETER!!". 
So I'm finding myself asking... why the hell am I DOING THIS??!! I see the advantages of not eating meat, but I might as well just go "low fat" in the first place.  but again, thats just the cranky dieter in me getting annoyed.
My weight is definiately down, I'm doing my darn-dist  to stay low fat, but I admit, the sushi yam rolls from the other night were DAMN yummy after 2 days of soup and oatmeal!  You can wrap cat crap in seaweed and rice, dip it in some wasabi and soy sauce and have a feast.
I'm definitely feeling lighter in my steps ( not loafers , sorry girls ) ... and the thought of eating meat is actually starting to gross me out.  I have not missed it (too much, yah, right ... ).

*YES I CHEATED - I can't lie, I ate a piece of maple candy that had liquid egg whites!!! 


Now that I got that off my chest... If you are Not considering the low fat part of this "way of life" , Costco is the place to go!!  Vegan heaven in bulk... yes believe it girls!



Frozen berrys for those smoothies, your buckwheat pancakes, oatmeal and more.
They have these froze Ancient whole grain hot cereal cups in the freezer section, so now I can zap my breakfast at work.
They have a great selcetion of fresh salsas and I'm amazed at all the organic brands of foods they carry, like Kashi cereals .
I did buy a package of vegetable gyozas, that came in right at the 20% that were yummy with our thai coconut and veggie soup. I'm sure they are questionable , however, they were better then the veggie spring rolls I could have purchased.
They have this fabulous bag of Baked BBQ pop chips... but eat them is small doses :)
I also got an 8 pack of Vegan lentil and Vegan Veggie lentil soups for $9 .. thats just over a $1 /can for my lunches. (yes, more soup)
they even have all the Yves soy substitute products in bulk... yum yum yum !!
Just remember... those sample ladies are meat and fat pushing vampires... stay away!!



No comments:

Post a Comment