Sunday, January 22, 2012

Angry Birds, Pigs & Cows....

Its been another fun filled weekend of eating out and again, feeling deprived by the lack of choices there are for vegan in a normal restaurant.  Shame! Shame!

Its final !!! just no eating out!! Or time to hunt down one of these Vegan friendly restaurants.
I WILL admit it, so I can sleep at night... Saturday night I fell to pier pressure when faced with NOTHING on the PHO 99 menu that could be consider vegan or even vegitarian.  And, like all lovers of food, I caved and had my favorite dish... the spring rolls with vermicelli and salad.  Unfortunately because they are "pre-made" and made with pork, I didn't make the 21 days without meat.  (really, I'm crying inside). 
I was doing so well, especially when we were dragged for Fish and Chips with my father-in-law.  I wasn't able to keep the low fat part down, but did good with the vegan, as I stuck with the deep fried mushrooms and pickles w/ chips.
I have to say, after eating the spring rolls, the after affects where totally NOT worth the taste bud satisfaction.
I had stomach cramps and its a toss up whether or not the bad perfume at Save On gave me a headache or if I was getting one from the meat.  I was drinking gallons of water all night long, something I wasn't doing at all since becoming vegan AND I woke up with my face all puffy. !! Totally not worth it!! Now, if I had eaten a pulled pork sandwich, mmmaaayyyybbbeee it would have been worth it.


Sunday night we did Applebees... with all their tempty tasty cheesey, greasy treats, they had nothing on the menu that was particulary vegan or vegitarian, (with the exception of the 3 cheese penne) , however, Applebees was at least very accomodating to requested changes.   Since my low fat diet was out the window this weekend... I ended up with having their Philly burger, only, I subbed the pattie with a veggie patty, had all dairy and cheese product removed, leaving me with the saute veggies on a patty and bun.  A touch of their dejion mustard, some added tomatos for moisture, and I had a darn good burger. And if anyone who also ready my facebook status is reading this, yes, I scrapped the Shrimp Teriyaki   pasta for the burger.  Thats the down fall for the waitress taking too long to get to the table and taking our order. !
This item totally full filled my burger craving. 


I have come to the conclusion, that if you are going to be a vegan, for both the health of your body, the safety of small fuzzy animals and not so small and fuzzy animals everywhere, you can pretty much eat anywhere, with the exception of Pho 99... with a bit of menu twisting.
However, trying to maintain this type of diet for the mere health and diet reasons, just stay the hell out of the restaurants all together. My lazy cook habits are following me into this new way of life.  Time to get back to soup and mush.... which are quite tasty. 

But over all, I am down 7lbs in 20 days. Slow and steady.  I've decided that I am going to continue with type of eating, if only because I feel better and I am starting to see what the effects of eating meat has on the human body. Once I have all the data on that, I will be blogging, so that I can share the good news with all you meat eaters .  Yes, I'm evil ... I dont think I was this bad when I became a Non-smoker. 

If you would like to try a yummy breakfast idea, we had these this morning for our breakfast. Even Matt thinks they are yummy, and so super easy.  The best part is, because there is no dairy, this would actually be a great recipe for you campers. Less food to make sure stays cold,


Buckwheat Blueberry Pancakes : 

In small bowl combine: 

1/2 c buckwheat flour
1/2 c cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder  ( NOT soda)
1/4 tsp baking soda   ( NOT powder)
1/4 tsp salt

In larger bowl combine :

1 ripe banana ( mashed to hell)
2 TBS maple syrup
1 TBS vinegar
1 c soy / rice / almond milk
1 c blueberries  ( fresh or frozen )

Once you have mixed wet items ( excluding the blue berries ) in large bowl, mix im dry ingredents until all lumps are gone and you have a pourable better.  You might have to add a touch of fake milk to thin.  THEN add the blue berries  ( or any berry you want really ) . 
cook on your griddle same as you would any other pancake , top with more berries and / or maple syrup.

ENJOY !!!













1 comment: